Sunday 11 February 2007

History - How did I end up in therapy?

About 8 months ago, I suffered from a major panic attack
whilst at work and had to run home and lock myself in my room. A panic attack is one of the most frightening experiences a person can have. Basically, the world melts away, you start to sweat, feel dizzy and nauseous and feel like you're having a heart attack! The fact that you lose control of yourself like this means you panic even more and this prolongs and intensifies these sensations. My first attack lasted a good few hours and it took until the next day to feel vaguely 'normal' again. During the attack I felt a great deal of paranoia and heart racing and during other attacks I felt on the verge of insanity. Whilst on the verge of this insanity I often felt suicidal too and although my attacks are manageable now (within reason!), I still have suicidal thoughts on a regular basis. I am presently taking anti-depressants called Sertraline and occasionally valium to subdue my attacks. I will talk about these separately in other posts to elucidate their effects etc.