Sunday 11 February 2007

Imagery - imagine that!

Imagery work is designed to get me in touch with my inner child who is and has been living imprisoned inside of me for a long time and is suffering a great deal of pain. The theory is based on the idea that my therapist and me explore painful memories and re-live them in a more healthy way! At the moment a typical session involves a routine of going into a childhood memory and exploring it with the support of my therapist. This helps me to re-live the experiences and the emotions tied up with them and also to help my inner child to feel better and stronger about himself. The experience itself is a strange one in that you actually ‘become’ that child again and thus at times it’s very difficult for me to return to reality. Of course if the memory that we are visiting is a bad one then it’s hard for me to go through the experience but little by little the therapist helps to guide me and thus provide support when I need it.