Saturday 3 March 2007

....and relax!

Things looking up at last! Went to the doctor yesterday and made some progress with coping with pre-work anxiety. It turned out that my anxiety was based on a completely irrational way of thinking about reality! So to deal with this first we rationally discussed the reasons for my anxiety i.e. I might make a mistake, I might lose my job and my life etc… then once my conscious mind had a chance to realize that I was being irrational we then did some imagery work to deal with the emotional roots of this irrational thinking!
It seems that pre-work anxiety comes from anxiety that built up when I was around 13 years old because of a lot of bullying from my father. To deal with this we therefore explored some times when my father bullied me and the doctor helped me to stand up to him. The point of this is to strengthen ‘lonely mark’ so that as an adult I no longer have these feelings of irrational anxiety. Anxiety is in fact a very healthy thing to have but only when it’s based on a true or realistic appraisal of reality NOT an irrational and false one!

Other than this yesterday was a good day! I received some long overdue monies for a job that I did which relieves some financial stress and my band is looking up again as our singer has decided to not leave the country. Also since cutting out alcohol and caffeine in my life, my anxiety has dropped considerably and I’ve been able (so far!) to socialize again at night without problems. Also, believe or not I’m going to be on a TV program because there is a station that wants to make a documentary about the work I do! Hurrah for me, for now! The only downside of course will be that my anxiety levels will definitely go up! I´ll keep you posted!